Castles that are near to Quay West Holiday Park.
Remains of 13th century castle built around 1215. From 1343 the castle was owned by the Edward, Black Prince, it was captured by the Welsh on 1403 in the Glyndwr Rising. Left in ruins, it was converted into a mansion around 1500. After surrendering to Parliamentarian forces during the English Civil War, the castle was blown up to make it indefensible; it quickly fell into disuse after this. Free and open access at any reasonable time.
Derelict medieval castle from 1136, and in the years that followed the castle changed hands several times as the Welsh and Normans battled for supremacy. In 1240 the castle fell back into Norman hands and just a few years later Earl Gilbert of Pembroke rebuilt it, adding the town walls for increased protection. It is these remains that still stand overlooking the river.
Remains of 13th century castle located on a rocky outcrop overlooking the River Teifi. Cilgerran was taken by Llywelyn the Great in 1215 but was recaptured in 1223 by William Marshal the younger, Earl of Pembroke, who rebuilt the castle in its present form. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Remains of late 13th century castle, built around 1277, captured and burned it in 1282. Briefly besieged in 1294, it was attacked again during the early 15th century by Owain Glyndwr, who eventually captured it in 1406. The English recaptured the castle in 1408, following a siege that involved the first known use of cannon in Britain. In 1649 during the English Civil War, Oliver Cromwell had the castle slighted to make sure that it could never be used again. Free and open access at any reasonable time.
Remains of late 13th century castle. Started around 1116 and was almost immediately attacked and partially destroyed by Welsh forces under Gruffydd ap Rhys. The castle changed hands a few times, finally falling to the English King Edward I in 1277 who refortified the defences. Briefly captured by the Welsh forces of Llywelyn the Last in 1282, it was again attacked during the Owain Glyn Dŵr rebellion in 1403 and left a partial ruin. Free and open access at any reasonable time.
Remains of 13th century castle. The current castle site, commanding a strategic position above the River Tywi, dates from around 1105. The original motte had massive stone defences added in the 13th century by the famous William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke. Converted into a prison in 1789, it now stands next to the council offices, somewhat lost amidst the modern urban sprawl.
This year has been a record year for Holidays in the UK Next year is expected to be even better.
Reserve your holiday online today and BEAT ANY PRICE INCREASE